Buying quality furniture pieces, with frames that are guaranteed for the life of the original owner, is a very smart investment, don’t you think?! I’d encourage you to do the “cost per sit” math! The sofa that likely has a life span of 3-5 years vs the quality piece you will have for a lifetime. Do I need to spell out which option I recommend to clients every time for form, function and value in upholstery furniture?
Kravet [ family run textiles, furniture & area rug company available through interior designers ] is one of those exceptional fabric and upholstery companies that pays attention to the special details, including the ones you might not see at first glance or possibly ever.
On a recent behind the scenes trip to Kravet’s New York offices and showrooms, I shot these photos that show the design team’s incredible eye for textile pairings and attention to detail right down to the bias cut welting on the furniture and the perfect trim treatment on the plush decorative cushions. The scale and proportion of each is perfection [ so many get this very wrong in my opinion! ]. Even the standard seat option crowns [ the way the top of the seat cushion curves as opposed to foam which on its own looks flat ] for comfort and a lovely luxe look.
Enjoy the thoughtfulness in these photos to the details you can see….
Traci Zeller of Traci Zeller Designs looks styled to perfection in Kravet’s CLARION HC3911 chair
…and then there is the attention to details that you cannot see at first glance but are one of the reasons why Kravet Furniture deserves a serious look. Not to mention, Kravet can be a one stop resource for both quality furniture and an abundance of gorgeous quality fabric.
- Top stitching or true bias cut welting/piping for a clean finish that helps prevent textiles from stretching out of shape with wear.
- Textiles are applied in a complete 4 way match where all patterns are matched both horizontally and vertically.
- Kravet fabrics are inspected before they are shipped to furniture factory.
- Textile backing is included on fabrics when required [ or available as an option with COM fabrics ] to prevent unravelling at the seams. The structure this backing provides also helps prevents seat and back cushion inserts from shifting with furniture wear.
- Furniture frames are guaranteed for the life of the original owner under normal wear and tear conditions.
- Furniture frames are constructed of kiln dried [ prevents warping ] 5/4 hardwoods sourced from non rain forest managed plantations.
- Individually eight-way hand tied recycled tempered coil springs are hand placed into frames.
- Most legs are built into the frame for extended durability.
- Most exposed wood is made from solid top quality maple stock.
- Joints are glued and double dowelled or mortise and tenon corner blocks that are reinforced for maximum durability [ this is not standard practice with many frames from other suppliers ].
- Standard seat cushions are constructed of environmentally safe, fire retardant foam surrounding recycled individually pocketed steel spring coils sewn into a fiber filled channeled [ to prevent shifting ] down proof ticking case [ prevents down from poking through fabric ] for superior comfort and durability.
- Standard loose back cushion is a combination of 50% fiber mixed with 50% feathers [ 75% duck feathers & 25% down ] enclosed in a 4 baffle 3 channel down proof ticking [ prevents down from poking through fabric or shifting ] for superior comfort and loft.
- Furniture packing for shipment exceeds standard shipping requirements.
Decor Mentor Tip: Invest in quality furniture with great scale and proportion. Cover the largest pieces in neutral textiles [ with a gorgeous texture for added interest ] to give you greatest flexibility over the years.
Kravet is available through interior designers [ most if not all of Decor Mentor's professional designer mentors ] and has showrooms throughout the world.
Lisa Ferguson Interior Design, author of this feature, is a full service Interior Design firm in Toronto, Ontario. Lisa would love to talk to you about designing a space expressly for you.
You can also find a full list of all our global mentors [ who are top professional interior designers ] on our Mentors Page.