Why you want these in your home
- The fiber in wool is highly elastic, so the weight from furniture and foot traffic erases easily, making it great for areas with high usage
- Wool easily releases moisture without developing mold or mildew, making it suitable for humid climates
- Wool fibers are surrounded with a protective membrane that makes the fibers water, stain and soil resistant
- Wool is an excellent insulator & it will keep warm air in during cold seasons
- Wool is like the leaves on trees. It absorbs airborne contaminants like sulfur dioxide, improving air quality in its immediate surroundings
- Cotton rugs are often inexpensive because the fiber is widely accessible and therefore costs less to manufacture
- Cotton is biodegradable, so your next decorating splurge may not seem so guilt-ridden!
- The cotton fiber accepts paint quite well, offering many unique printed motif and pattern options
- Cotton is machine washable, need I say more!?
- Silk is surprisingly one of the most durable fibers around, giving these rigs their long “centuries old” lasting abilities.
- Silk fibers accept dyes better than any other fiber, offering a rainbow of colour opportunities
- Silk rugs are the softest surfaces you will ever touch. And, they always present themselves in a sophisticated and elegant fashion
- Silk fibers have a characteristic rich luster and sheen that allow natural light to reflect off it in beautiful hues
Becky Freeman Interior Design, author of this feature, is a Interior Design firm in Toronto, Ontario. Becky would love to talk to you about designing a space expressly for you.
You can also find a full list of all our global mentors [ who are top professional interior designers ] on our Mentors Page.