Mentor Lisa Ferguson, Principal of Lisa Ferguson Interior Design and Decor Mentor Founder, shares a downloadable visual cheat sheet family or living room area rug size guide. >>
This is one of a regular series of visual cheat sheet guides for area rugs for you to download. Finding an area rug that you love is only part of the challenge. Then, do the colours work, and mostly importantly is the size right? This visual size guide is to help you get the size right.
Designer tips to remember:
- 8-16″ of hardwood around perimeter of area rug is optimal
- area rug edges and corners in major traffic flow areas will be annoying and dangerous
- minimum of front legs of furniture should be on the area rug, put preferable all legs for a more pulled together and professional look
- measure your minimum and maximum sizes before you go sourcing
- if your optimal size is not standard, consider having broadloom banded [ its affordable and lots of choices! ]
Lisa Ferguson Interior Design, author of this feature, is a full service Interior Design firm in Toronto, Ontario. Lisa would love to talk to you about designing a space expressly for you.
You can also find a full list of all our global mentors [ who are top professional interior designers ] on our Mentors Page.